Monday, July 12, 2010

Old Sheldon Church ruins - Beaufort, SC

I stopped for a slight detour on the way back from our wonderful Wedding in Hilton Head. I had to check out Sheldon Church ruins. Sheldon Church has lain in ruin for more than 120 years. Its gable roof, pediment, windows, and interior have disappeared, but the classic simplicity of its design still remains. During  the Revolution, the Patriots are believed to have stored gun powder in it. In 1779 the church was burned by a detachment which according to tradition, was commanded by the flamboyant local Tory, Andrew Deveaux. Rebuilt in 1826, the church was again burned by Sherman's men in 1865. The ruins are nevertheless beautiful!! I hope I get to shoot a bridal or wedding here someday!!!  I had a hard time leaving the site...

0 comments: